Speculative Fiction Reading Group: A Wizard of Earthsea
I am once more working with ScribLab, this time bringing something a little different - a reading group! You can sign up here and I have copied the details below. If well attended, I will be doing more of these reading groups in the future.
The Speculative Fiction Reading Group is led by Aurora Hurd and is open to all - those brand new to the speculative fiction umbrella of genres and those who are long-time readers/writers. While there will be an exploration of craft elements, the goal first and foremost is to enjoy these stories.
Stories will be chosen in a rotation between works by authors who identify in the LGBTQIA+ spectrum, authors of color, and women authors. The group will explore classics of speculative fiction as well as the current boom in works by diverse authors.
To prepare for each meeting:
- Read the book of the month.
- Keep the following question in mind: Was there a particular piece of writing craft (character building, description, pacing, etc) that stood out to you as you were reading?
- Be ready to discuss the story! Bring any questions that came up for you while you were reading.
Let’s start with some foundational classics of the genre:
- Sat 6/18: Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany, 1966
- Sat 7/16: Wild Seed by Octavia Butler, 1980
- Sat 8/20: A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. le Guin, 1968
Post a Comment